Monday, April 14, 2014

Read With Me

Hi everyone,

I know you've heard this so many times but it's worth a reminder :)

We need to teach our children the love of reading.  It doesn't mean that you put them in the local summer reading program or mandate special reading time in the home. What it does mean is that based on your family lifestyle or dynamics, you create a way to model reading and make it something they desire. I have a great memory when I was little of going to this old historic library and picking out so many books. My mom was an avid reader and always enjoyed sharing the library with me.

Your approach to teaching your children the love of reading can be done in so many different and unique ways. Creativity is the key! Think of situations that involve reading and then think about how to incorporate something they love to do with reading. Here's a quick example: My son and I recently spent the day together shopping and doing errands. I needed to pick up a book at Barnes and Noble, so he went in with me and I told him it would be just a few minutes. He loves coffee, so I told him to grab one at the Starbucks in the store. He soon found me in the cookbook section and decided he would go to the sports section. He is an avid golfer, and before he knew it, he was immersed in the golf books and had three in his hand.  We agreed on one golf book and left the store filled with the excitement of reading it, along with the desire to buy the other ones in the future. I never told him we had to go to the book store and find some books to read. He works very hard in school and always has a lot of homework so that probably wouldn't have sounded appealing to him.  It was a very natural approach that resulted in a good experience. Make sure to purposely plan things like this to give your child good experiences with books and reading. I know that not all children love to read, or feel confident in their abilities, but if we can make it something fun, purposeful, and meaningful to their life, they will appreciate it.

Peace and blessings,
Lesa


"Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him."
Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment